Friday, May 29, 2020

A Day in the Life of a Junker

Pin It
This post was prepared several years ago. It was kinda fun to re-read it and remember all that happened. Yes, just as it did. We have since quit shows, they are too taxing for us. We do like a good sale now and then tho. Maybe you will happen upon an older couple and ...


My head drops lower and I wake to find my chin almost to my chest. I stretch back and come fully awake. As I reach for my glasses, I try to figure out where we are on our journey. Glasses in place I start reading exit signs. Hercules, Pinole, Appian. OK, just about to the bay.

I glance over to Mr who graciously allows me to nap while he drives. "How're you doing?"

"Fine. Looks like it will be a nice day."  It is 3 am. We don't talk a lot early in the morning.

We exit the highway shortly and make the right turns to take us to a tunnel that goes under the bay to the island of Alameda. A few more turns and we join the other cars parked along the street leading to the gate. Our place in line is farther ahead than other times. Sometimes it stretches for at least a mile. We park and turn out the lights and settle in for a little more nap.

About 30 minutes later, we hear engines start up and lights come on and the cars start inching their way through the gates. Our entrance tickets are ready and we hand them over to one of the guards. This huge navy airfield has been marked into spaces for one of California's largest Antique - Flea Markets.

Pavement expands in all directions. We find our marked space and the first thing we do is set up out canopy with it's weights. Weights are now required on all four legs of each and every canopy as there have been accidents from flying canopies with the wind that sometimes comes up. No fun for the vendors, and no fun for the shoppers, some of who were injured.

Within a hour or so, a small city has been erected on the pavement. Rugs, jewelry, antiques from around the world, oddities. All this and more can be found here. We have been doing this "show" every month for about 8 years. That is a lot of shows...

Early, before 6 even, there are those who browse your booth. Few sales, for us anyway, take place. After Mr has unloaded and placed his furniture items, I get to spruce up a few pieces with my smalls. He takes a well-deserved nap over in the corner and I unpack a few packing boxes. Bowls, knick-knacks, plates, vintage cooking pieces, whatever we think may interest our customers are placed here and there. This last show we had a three foot tall leather zebra! I know other dealers, one my daughter, who can envision a whole vignette and make it happen. I seem to just stumble along and it is enough.

The sun rises, customers come and go. On a great day the market gets as many as 12,000 to 13,500 shoppers. That's a whole lot of people. Sometimes there is a steady stream going by. You see all the gambit of humanity. I have seen men wearing skirts, women with colored hair (not dyed - colors!), mothers with their babies strapped to their chests nursing, people on crutches (I know I couldn't make it one row, and there must be 50 rows). Then there are whole families. We had a few tiny birdhouses that we got for a song and were selling for $1 each. It was so fun to see the children pick out one and pay for it. I mean, who cannot afford $1?

Our neighbor vendor has his children come and help him. Sometimes it is his son who lives in a near city. "Tony" helps dad set out his refinished works of art - tools. They are truly beautiful. "Tony", the son,  is a principal on a normal workday. Here, he is the "helper". Other children show up a little later. "Lisa" (a mom with 4 little ones at home, I think she is glad to escape for a while...)  and "Lynette" (a professional lady), and "Josh", all there to support dad. One of the grandchildren sometimes comes. It is like greeting family to see them and share a few hours. "Larry", the dad shared with us a few months back that his wife was very sick, and they were waiting on test results. The next month, they told us that she had cancer. A few months later, we heard that she passed away. I don't know if this family knows the Lord, but we have had opportunity to tell them that we care and that we are praying for them. Hopefully, they see HIM in us.

"Sally" has a part of the booth across the way. She sells what she calls "steam-punk" jewelry and vintage watches. I don't even know if I would know what a "steam-punk" item was if it came up and tapped me on the shoulder. It works for her. Her other booth buddy, "Mike" is always telling her to not "bother us". She is just a lonely person who needs a friend.

We have other vendors who stop by to say hi and give us a short story of their day, or week, or month... For some reason, we seem to be a listening post. It makes the day very interesting.

About 1:30, I start gathering some small items that are not getting any attention and putting them in my packing boxes. As this is happening, arranging take place, and I usually end up selling something because I moved it... why didn't I have it there in the first place? At 2:30, Mr takes a stroll to the back parking lot to retrieve the parked truck and cargo trailer. He brings it around at 3 and we pack it up again. It is like moving twice in one day.

Getting into the truck for the ride home is right up there with being the best part of the day, the best part is when we pull into the driveway and thank the Lord for giving us another day to live for Him and thank Him for safety.

It's good to be home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell Me What's On Your Mind