Thursday, January 13, 2011

Trying out some new foods

Pin It
I did the grocery shopping today and came home with butternut squash and quinoa. I know, these foods have been around forever, but I never got around to cooking them before...because... 1) everyone I ususally cook for likes Mexican food and... 2) I do make good Mexican food (If I do say so myself)


I put the butternut squash (after I halved it) into the pan with a little butter and brown sugar and put it in the oven and waited, and waited, and waited. Then I checked the internet recipe again and decided that I hadn't the oven on hot enough. Up goes the temperature. More waiting. The result was tasty, but I'm glad that I didn't have 25 people waiting for me to serve them. (Can I get you more water while you wait?)  Pay no attention to the oven. The woman that lives here hasn't cleaned it for some time.


The quinoa on the internet recipe place was not real helpful. I guess you use the 1 -  2 - 3 rule.

1 part grain

2 parts liquid

Bring it to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.

3 finished cooked product

(you can use this with most, if not all grains, rice, etc -- worked every time)



Well, Mr came in and asked what was cooking. After I showed him, he did the age old test of look, sniff, and then asked me to make him a chicken - potato burrito... I ate the squash and quinoa. I may be bursting sometime soon with wonderful health benefits (someone please tell me if I it happens)







Tomorrow I will be cooking a turkey that I got on sale (38 cents a lb with $50 purchase) before the holidays.. It has been in the freezer, waiting, waiting, for I don't know what...  I will bring some of the meat to our gathering on Sunday night. (Our regularly scheduled meeting will be postponed until the evening because of a roofing party at one of the brothers homes.) Mr will be enjoying  turkey dinner after the holidays. I also have plans for turkey soup, turkey pot pie, turkey burritos, how do turkey enchiladas sound? Green sauce, white cheese...

Well, must clean up now, hope you had a great dinner.

2 comments:

  1. I need to do more research on how to use quinoa in recipes, but it's supposed to be a great food that is GF. I've had it in muffins before and it was good, but it does have a little different taste to it. Like I said, more research needed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just made my first batch if quinoa today! Can't wait to try it out in more stuff. I've heard of people using it to make oatmeal instead of using oats. I added it to a salad today and it was good. It has amazing amounts of protein in it and lots of other wonderful health benefits. We will be adding it to more of our meals over here as well.

    ReplyDelete

Tell Me What's On Your Mind