Thursday, April 5, 2012

Not Ur Ordinary Nachos

Pin It
I don't know how your family operates. What your budget is for eating out, etc.

But, when we had six teens at home (yes!) we were always looking for ways to provide treats without breaking the pocket book.

We came up with this solution for Nachos

We shopped at our local bulk store - I think back then it was called "Price Club". Yes, it has been a while...

We bought the large (and I mean large) bag of tortilla chips. I mean, this bag was almost as tall as I was. I stored it in our freezer and brought it out at the times we needed it. With our family, sometimes we bought two bags...

I always had beans on hand. Usually the homemade ones. My husband is of Spanish decent, and it was just part of our meals (here in California, we eat beans...)

To make Nachos for a crowd, I cooked and seasoned a couple patties of ground beef (stored in patties that I made ahead and froze), I re-fried the beans (and not always with lard, just the juice makes them taste quite good), grated cheddar cheese and assembled this all on a couple of cookie sheets in layers. I put them in the oven to crisp up and we then served them up. Homemade salsa (canned tomatoes, canned jalapenos, onion, salt = yum) I bet if you asked my kids now, they would still say it tasted great.

*******************

A word about Nacho sauce that you can purchase at the store. The other day I wanted to have some on hand and here is what I found.

This was priced at $2.88

This brand, in a can with a resealable lid was $1.78.

It tastes very good, but it was not with the chips. You sometimes have to go out of your way to get a bargain.

Speaking of store brands...

You can save money. Smuckers was quite a bit more. I guess I forgot to get that price.

And who has to have the real deal when it goes into a salad?

I hope you are having a great day.



1 comment:

  1. Your nachos sound great!! Are you all doing Roses and Rust? I saw a few other posts about it. Looks like it will be a great show! Hope you are having a good week!

    ReplyDelete

Tell Me What's On Your Mind