Thursday, September 27, 2012

Taking the Plunge Into Soap

Pin It
A few months back I purchased what was needed to make my own laundry soap. Fels Napha bar soap, Borax, and Washing Soda (which I understand I am not to confuse with regular soda).


I was all ready and had a few empty containers to put the finished product in when I discovered that they were not all empty. So, being a good house wife, I proceeded to "use up" what I already had. That being the case, it took until now to really have it empty.

I am not really into "back to Eden" stuff when it comes to laundry soap - and how many loads of laundry did Eve do before she and Adam were put out of the garden anyway? Not many. So, here I had these supplies ready and then I went to the internet and can't remember where I found the ingredients in the first place.

There are tons of recipes out there people! Everyone has a take on what should go into the pot, so to speak

Well, I found one that used the stuff I have on hand and proceed to start.

Grate 1/3 bar of soap, that part is pretty easy. Mix it with 4 cups of water and heat it up until it melts. OK.

Mix in 1/2 cup of Borax and 1/2 cup of Washing Soda. (it seems that I have enough supplies to last until the rapture!) The boxes of borax and soda seem rather large when you look at what is used here, and, I still have 2/3 of the bar of soap left.  OK, lots more water, a change of pots because it it getting ready to overflow the top, and now it is sitting its 24 hours to do whatever it is that it will do before it is ready to use. I think I can even add a scent if I like.

I will keep anyone posted on the outcome in the coming days. It smells pretty good from here. We will see how it does with the hard water situation around here though.

I may try the dry recipe and see how I like it. Wish me luck. It looks like I am going to be up to my eyeballs in soap.

3 comments:

  1. I used to make my own laundry soap until I found it didn't get the clothes clean long-term. I recently read on a blog the same laundry soap recipe but with Oxi-Clean added. I have been adding Oxi-Clean to my generic soap from Costco and find that it even takes out old stains. I plan to try making my own soap again with Oxi-Clean added, hoping that is the missing ingredient.

    Mrs.Hearts

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mrs Hearts also sent me this link: http://www.servingjoyfully.com/2012/09/20/homemade-laundry-detergent/ I plan on making this up also, just have to go get the Oxi-Clean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have made my own laundry soap, too. I don't 'religiously' make it as the reason I made it in the first place was cost. If I find a great deal on 'ready made' laundry soap, I will buy it.

    I started with a basic recipe and added my own supplements to suit my water situation. I added Oxi-Clean (store brand) and Purex softening crystals. These really add to the cost so I watch for a coupon paired with a sale to help. I made the powdered version since it's much less messy and easier to store. The Purex Crystals give it a really nice scent.

    I always like to see what other people think of the homemade soaps. :) I'm thinking of trying dishwasher detergent next. (When my current stash of Cascade runs out.)

    ReplyDelete

Tell Me What's On Your Mind