Thursday, March 15, 2012

Thursday's Thrifty Tips ~Out #*!+ Spot~

Pin It
If you haven't seen the recipes for saving money $$$  on laundry soap, please see a previous post here.

My friend Zizi shares some tips and recipes.

Now, onto today's tip.

Have you ever been to  a yard sale and seen a beautiful tablecloth, or some tea towels, or doilies, but were turned off by the stains? Well, here is a recipe for take those stains away, or at least make them livable.

Equal parts of:

1. Dishwasher powder (must be powder)
2. Baking soda (just the plain old stuff you use all the time for other things)
3. Biz or its equivalent laundry powder if you can't find Biz

Mix these all up and store the mixture in an airtight container. When you get a real find, make a paste of the mixture and put it on wet fabric. Rub it in and let it dry in the sun. After it has dried (it will be sorta crumbly) brush it off (or not) and wash it as usual.

 I have used this on lace tablecloths with impossible looking stains, on linens, on tea towels (now there are some hard stains) and it most of the time, works for me.

The best part is that it makes a ton. You can probably use it on other things, but I have mostly stuck to whites or very light colored fabric.

Let me know how it turns out for you.

What do you have to share today?

2 comments:

  1. I shall have to try that. I rarely find anything that doesn't have stains!

    Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stains are really a part of the history of an item: like "Great Aunt Lettie spilled her iced tea at the funeral of Uncle Lester and then fainted..." They really tell a story, but we don't always have that information to make it interesting to us. Too bad in a way, it could be entertaining in the least. Let me know how it turns out for you. Like I said, I haven't tried it on 'everything', but what I have used it on, works. Thanks for the comment.

      Delete

Tell Me What's On Your Mind