Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Jelly Roll Quilt Top WIP

Pin It
I just found out what "WIP" means-- Work In Progress

I have seen this on other blogs, but never could figure it out. Well, someone had it and in parenthesis had provided the translation, thank you, thank you.

Now, back to this attempt. I saw a post about Jelly Roll Races here and I was intrigued. I had a jelly roll of reproduction vintage prints that was screaming to be used. I first thought this would be a baby quilt, but I am not sure at this point. I may just have to stay home. I make quilts for a lot of others -- and well, always a bridesmaid and never a bride, if you know what I mean.


This was probably the fastest quilt top I have ever pieced.
I started out with 20 different fabrics, they are pre-cut across the width of the fabric, and there were two of each print.
I sewed them together, end to end and had 1600 inches of strip.
That's a long, long, long strip.
You join the two ends and sew them side by side and then cut the ends. Now you have 800 inches of strip, still a long one.
You do this again, and now you have 400 inches and 4 strips side by side.

Continue, and with a few more seams (and each one is half as long as the previous one) you have you finished top.


It needs to be squared up and I think I will put borders on this. A light solid color.

What do you think? Pretty big and bright for a baby?  I do have other pink fabric that I can cut into 2.5 inch strips and do this again, only on a smaller scale.

What's the verdict?



1 comment:

  1. I think its great! Its hard to tell from the picture if it is long enough to be an "adult" quilt or if it is baby size. I say if you love it, it's time to keep one for yourself! :)

    ReplyDelete

Tell Me What's On Your Mind